1Corinthians 9:18 "What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it." (NIV)

My name is Kate.  I strive to live my life every single day for the Glory of God.  But do I succeed at that?  Absolutely not.  I fall short, every single day.  But I am saved by the Blood of Christ; and I strive to further His Kingdom, even though I know I will fall short.  Why?  Because it is what I am called to do.  Through music and relationships.  Those are the gifts I was entrusted with, and since I did not ask for them, I had better use them to the best of my ability.  I will not hide them under a rock, instead I will stand on The Rock and use them for The Glory of God!

Monday, March 31, 2008

Discernment

Do you pray for discernment in your decision making, and day to day life?

I sure do. I pray for it all the time. Discernment in speaking the right words, making the right decisions, particularly when I am conversing with other people.

There is nothing that upsets me more than to be misunderstood. And I don't mean upset as in angry, I mean upset as in saddened and hurt. Because, although I don't always succeed, I strive to put a lot of thought into every communication that I have with others, and to be intentional in what I say. Particularly in writing, and it can be very hurtful to have it all thrown aside for a mere misunderstanding.

I believe that, since we are emotional beings (particularly us female kind of humans), that we are prone to making snap decisions based on how we feel in the moment. I am certainly guilty of that. And because of this fact (I do not like to be, or admit that I am an emotional person) I pray for discernment instead. That instead of making a decision based on how I feel, that I would make the decision based on the leading of the Spirit and of Jesus--which more often than I would like to admit, goes against what I am feeling at that moment. But always ends up being the right thing in the end, and I always feel good about what I've said when I've filtered out my feelings. And when I don't, I find I'm regretful of what I wrote or said.

I feel like people (in general) are too quick to respond, particularly under an emotional charged situation. Yes it is life, and just how human beings are, but I would encourage you to train yourself to pray, swallow and take a deep breath before responding emotionally to anything...that's all I'm saying here.

What does this have to do with ministry? LOTS!! 95% (or perhaps more) of your ministry is going to be perceived through your communication with others, and your ability to do so well. It doesn't matter if your ministry IS communication based or not...that is still how people will take in information about you. So therefore, when you are in ministry, or even when you just want your day to day life to be a ministry, it is vital to be praying for discernment in communication with others.

No comments: