1Corinthians 9:18 "What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it." (NIV)

My name is Kate.  I strive to live my life every single day for the Glory of God.  But do I succeed at that?  Absolutely not.  I fall short, every single day.  But I am saved by the Blood of Christ; and I strive to further His Kingdom, even though I know I will fall short.  Why?  Because it is what I am called to do.  Through music and relationships.  Those are the gifts I was entrusted with, and since I did not ask for them, I had better use them to the best of my ability.  I will not hide them under a rock, instead I will stand on The Rock and use them for The Glory of God!

Friday, March 14, 2008

Women in Leadership

So--what about women in leadership?  Well, I think women make fantastic leaders.  Some of the best leaders I know are women.

Women can be teachers, bible study leaders, ordained as pastors, deacons, heads of corporations...but I do think there is a stopping point at which women should be in leadership.  Now, DO NOT misunderstand what I'm saying.  Let me explain.

The Bible states very clearly that man is the head of the household.  I believe that a 'household' not only applies to just that, but also to churches, and COUNTRIES!  Don't you think that the United States is quite a 'household'?  Which is where I have a problem with Hilary Clinton.  It wouldn't matter if it were her, or any other woman.  I do not think that President of the United States is meant for a woman.  This is not meant to be offensive to my gender in any way.  Don't you think that First Lady is quite a position to hold?  The First Lady is the most powerful, and (hopefully) most respected woman at least in the entire country, possibly in the entire world.  First Lady is feminine, and strong, and smart, and loved the world around.  I'd say that is quite the position to hold, wouldn't you?  But obviously it wasn't enough for her, which I think is just too bad.  I'm not going to rant about Hilary, it is just disappointing to me that First Lady wasn't enough for her.  

I do not have any issue with her being a Senator, or holding any other political position she wishes (short of the Presidency)-why can't she just have aspirations of being a Supreme Court Judge?  I may not agree with her views, but I do not have issue with the office she currently holds.  Or with the fact that she was First Lady.  But President is going too far.  Even Condoleezza Rice I think is fine in the position she holds!

I feel the same way about churches.  I do not think that a woman should be the head pastor in a church.  Women can be children's pastors, worship leaders, even associate pastors and deacons, but I get worried when I hear that a woman is the head pastor in a church.  I do not say any of this to offend anyone--I'm just stating my opinion.  Women are known to make decisions based on emotions, whereas men tend to make them a little more practically (and this is coming from a very practical woman!)

Anyway--I just feel like women (generally speaking) feel the need to embrace the power that these high positions hold, and prove themselves in a mans world.  I do not mean that in a sexist way!  Women run households, keep track of everyones schedules, run corporations, and have amazing abilities as leaders.  I hear many a men say that their wives tell them what they need to do, where to go, what to wear.  And I don't doubt that for a second.  "The man is the head of the household, but the woman is the neck, and can turn the head any way she wants"  I think that is so true.  I think that often times, God speaks to men through their wives.  But we as women need to be willing to submit ourselves to our husbands, just as The Bible says.  And through that we will be blessed, as will our husbands, and households and children.

So, what is my point?  Embrace who you are as a woman.  Don't try to measure up to men or to be like them.  Not because you won't ever get there (which you won't).  But there is just no comparison!  Men and women were created to be completely different.  We were created for different purposes--to fulfill different roles on this earth.  And when women try to take on roles which men were created for, it not only destroys her femininity, it also confuses men.  (But that is a whole other topic that I won't get into right now.)  What man would want to marry a women who acts like, or looks like a man?  No man that I know.

Women were created to be nurturing, soft, beautiful, caretakers, and master planners.  Men were created to be the hunters, providers, warriors, protectors.  We are meant to compliment each other, not to compete.

So...can you guess how I feel about women in the military?  I probably shouldn't go into it, so I won't.

No comments: