1Corinthians 9:18 "What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it." (NIV)

My name is Kate.  I strive to live my life every single day for the Glory of God.  But do I succeed at that?  Absolutely not.  I fall short, every single day.  But I am saved by the Blood of Christ; and I strive to further His Kingdom, even though I know I will fall short.  Why?  Because it is what I am called to do.  Through music and relationships.  Those are the gifts I was entrusted with, and since I did not ask for them, I had better use them to the best of my ability.  I will not hide them under a rock, instead I will stand on The Rock and use them for The Glory of God!

Friday, March 21, 2008

An interesting exercise

So, on a worship website that I am a member of, we have been talking through (just for fun) what we wanted to be when we grew up. As a result, a few of us (and I'm sure more will) have written out in more detail the changes and progressions in what we wanted to be.

And through that--I realized that there are quite a few consistencies which I had never realized before. Especially regarding music. It's just kind of fun to see it all written out. So I thought I would share it here too...

-----------------------------------------
Okay--so I don't keep repeating myself...I ALWAYS wanted to be a mom (and to this day)...so I won't write it every time--but you can insert it yourself in every single line.

  • When I was in Kindergarten, I wanted to be 2 things 1. A mom 2. A car washer (remember the days when all gas stations were full serve, and they'd squeegee your windshield? That's who I wanted to be) lol!
  • In 2nd grade, I wanted to be Young Cosette in Les Miserables. I knew her entire part by heart.
  • In 4th grade, I wanted to be on that show "Star Search" Oh gosh I loved that show...
  • In 8th grade, I wanted to be an OBGYN Nurse (because it would mean I'd get to be with the babies in the hospital!) but soon after I realized that you actually had to like science in order to become a nurse. And I have since realized that I did not miss my calling in the medical profession (since I get queasy with disfigurement and that sort of thing...) yuk. I actually fainted once when a friend of mine broke her nose (and when I broke my nose, my friend who took me to the hospital wouldn't let me look in the mirror...she was afraid I'd faint on her. LOL!)
  • In 9th grade, I wanted to be a professional singer. (and changed my mind to wanting to be Eponine in Les Mis instead--since I'm an alto..lol)
  • In 11th grade, I realized that there wasn't anything I wanted to do that school could help me with (I just wanted to be a stay at home mom!) So I wasn't really sure what to do with myself...but kept on going (and had every intention of going to college anyway) and when people would ask me what I wanted to be, I'd make stuff up...because I didn't want people to know that I only wanted to be a stay at home mom (at the time, women all had careers for the most part...so it wasn't cool to want to stay home)
  • In college, I wanted to go on Staff at Teen Missions International. I almost dropped out of college to do so...but then thought better of it.
  • And in college...I still struggled with a 'profession' I just didn't feel called to any profession. It was really hard. My major finally 'clicked' for me the second semester of my senior year. Talk about cutting it close right?
  • And then post college--I discovered Mary Kay, and realized that was the sort of 'profession' that I wanted, and have loved it ever since.
  • And now? Well, Mary Kay of course. Still want to be a stay at home mom someday. And a desire to be a musician's wife. Not necessarily a professional musicians wife...but that would be okay too.
  • Oh--and I still would love to be Eponine...but the show isn't running anymore Sadly...

So, to add a little more about Teen Missions.

  • I went twice as a team member (when I was 16 and 17), and it really opened my eyes to missions work and the importance of that. And it honestly captured my heart.
  • Even more so when I became a leader. I led 3 peanut teams (who are 7-9 year olds) and one teen team. I just loved connecting with the kids, and taking care of them.
  • I really thought I was supposed to go on staff at Teen Missions, but no.
  • But to this day, there is a huge place in my heart for organizations like this, which ushers teenagers (and younger) into spreading the Gospel. My children will absolutely be doing something like this at least once in their lives. It changed my entire world. It made my faith real to me, and personal to me. Having grown up in a christian home (which I am forever thankful for) I never had a 'before' and 'after'. So I needed something to make my faith personal, and this did it.
  • So, while I don't think I'm currently called to go on staff on Teen Missions, or to be a full time missionary, I certainly will always feel connected to organizations like this, and hope to volunteer with them again someday.
  • This is why, when I attended Passion::Boston, it immediately re-lit the fire in my heart that Teen Missions had started, for serving students and teaching them to go out into the world. I believe that is where my calling is in missions. To enable others, and encourage others.

1 comment:

higgie08 said...

I always wanted to be Eponine, too!! I think Les Miz is back on Broadway again, but maybe for a limited time. I saw it a few years ago and it's amazing. :)