1Corinthians 9:18 "What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it." (NIV)

My name is Kate.  I strive to live my life every single day for the Glory of God.  But do I succeed at that?  Absolutely not.  I fall short, every single day.  But I am saved by the Blood of Christ; and I strive to further His Kingdom, even though I know I will fall short.  Why?  Because it is what I am called to do.  Through music and relationships.  Those are the gifts I was entrusted with, and since I did not ask for them, I had better use them to the best of my ability.  I will not hide them under a rock, instead I will stand on The Rock and use them for The Glory of God!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

God is doing something...

So, it is no surprise to me (or probably to you reading this either) that God is doing something big. He is doing something so huge in this world that it blows me away!

Many, many things are going on all over the world which I believe is proof of His movement. The "
Florida Revival's" and the "Passion World Tour", just to name 2. Amazing.

And up here in Maine, I believe God is doing something too! At least, I feel it happening in my life.

As I mentioned
2 posts down, I was asked to lead worship at my grandparents church this past weekend. I have to be honest, and say that even though I was glad to do it. I wasn't necessarily looking forward to the experience. I wasn't dreading it either, I was just looking forward to it being done with. Mostly because the past 2 weeks have been crazy busy for me, and I really just needed a break. Just an hour to myself was all I needed, but hadn't had it in a long time.

So, I prepared an hour worth of material. 9 songs, plus a children's sermon that my co-worker who is a Priest, taught me.

I showed up at the church, to find out that the children had more planned than I had been told, and that I only needed to do about 20 minutes worth of music. This was a bit of a relief if I'm being honest. I mean, it is too bad that I prepared an hour worth of stuff, only to do 20 minutes. But it was just fine. I would rather be over prepared, than under prepared. It was nice to be able to prove to myself that I am capable of providing an hour worth of worship music--since I have never done this all by myself before!

So, I picked out 5 songs, plus a song to do during the offering. The church was so humid that I had to re-tune my guitar in between every song. Plus, the guitar had new strings on it, which didn't really help. But it wouldn't have mattered either way.

I got up there to my stool, and just felt so incredibly at home. Sitting there, with my guitar, microphone over my ear. I have never been so at ease before. And I haven't been nervous in a long time singing in front of a crowd, but this was new, with my guitar. I still felt completely at ease. I just started talking to congregation while I tuned my guitar. I decided to start off the service with Chris Tomlin's version of Amazing Grace. Since this church is not all that familiar with modern worship music, I figured this would be a good way to ease them in--something they know, but a modern version of it. I explained the story of how the song came about. How when Chris researched it, he found that the last verse we currently sing "When we've been there 10 thousand years" was actually added to the song 100 years after it was written, and from that moment on he knew he could add a little something to the song too. And the congregation laughed, they obviously enjoyed the fact that I knew the story behind that song, and wasn't just pushing a new song on them.

Anyway, I did the other 4 songs I chose, talked in between each one, just trying to connect with the congregation as best as I could. And they actually sang along! (I had brought words for the projector)

Afterwards, a lot of people thanked me for taking the time to be there. A few told me that they believed that God has given me a gift for leading music (which I was not expecting to hear), someone told my grandmother than I was 'charming' and 'personable' on stage (also not what I was expecting to hear, but what a compliment!), and I recieved an email from a congregant thanking me again for coming and told me that God has certainly blessed me with an ability to lead music. I just have been blown away by these people. I even sold 2 CD's (which I did not even have with me) She happened to ask me if I had any CD's, and I thought for a moment and went "Actually I do". So that paid for my gas money up and back (with the price of gas, any little bit is helpful)

So anyway, this experience has brought up a few thoughts in my mind. Where exactly is God placing me in ministry? I still don't know the answer, and just have more ideas now than ever.

My grandmother has told me before, that she believed I was missing a calling in leading worship, maybe she was right?? This weekend certainly showed me that I love doing it, much to my surprise. I mean, I have a lot to learn about how to lead worship, but I would think that a willing heart, and sensitive spirit is all you need to begin.

I love the idea of helping churches, who need the help to move into more modern worship. Churches who need younger people to get involved, and therefore need to update at least some of their music. Don't get me wrong, I love hymns, and I love churches that have a balance between hymns and modern music. But so many churches are afraid of modern worship music. I could see myself going from church to church, spending a few weeks in each one. Teaching them music, and getting them comfortable with the idea of guitars and such. Paving the way for a worship team to take over. Even training a worship team. What a job that would be!

I also love the idea of traveling. Just let me travel. I would make a fantastic Road Manager (the person who books hotels, flights, buses, venues, etc) for a group or company of some sort. In fact, my brother wants to hire me for a venture he is currently working on in exaclty that role. However it is a ways off still--so in the meantime I need to continue to follow my own path.

I also feel very strongly about ministering specifically to young women (and even some older women) I have talked about that topic a lot on this blog. Specifically about femininity, and the importance of that.
You can see those posts here.

So, I know God has placed these desires and visions on my heart for a purpose. And I'm sure that somehow, they'll all get blended together. I just can't see how yet. And that is okay. I will see it when He wants me to see it. In the meantime, I am just trying to walk through doors faithfully as He opens them for me.

Austin is only 3 weeks away, and I'm praying for doors to open there if they are meant to. Like the last time I went down there, I just believe that I will be placed in the exact places I am supposed to be. I can't wait to go! Yes, it is hot I am told...I keep having customers call, who happen to live in Austin. But, everything indoors is air conditioned. And I figure, visiting Texas in July, is probably like visiting Maine in February. It isn't a bad idea for me to see it at its worst!!! :)

1 comment:

higgie08 said...

This is all awesome, Kate! I am so glad God is opening doors for you. If you ever need a backup singer, you know who to call! :)