1Corinthians 9:18 "What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it." (NIV)

My name is Kate.  I strive to live my life every single day for the Glory of God.  But do I succeed at that?  Absolutely not.  I fall short, every single day.  But I am saved by the Blood of Christ; and I strive to further His Kingdom, even though I know I will fall short.  Why?  Because it is what I am called to do.  Through music and relationships.  Those are the gifts I was entrusted with, and since I did not ask for them, I had better use them to the best of my ability.  I will not hide them under a rock, instead I will stand on The Rock and use them for The Glory of God!

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Coincidence? or God's faithfulness?

So--I'm going to try to keep this post as short as possible.

As you are probably aware, I am moving to Austin in less than 2 months. (I can't believe how quickly it has come!) All along, I've dedicated a lot of prayer to this process, the decision, and everything that goes along with it. I've prayed that the doors be either obviously open, or obviously closed. And so far, I've had nothing but open doors. I am completely open to closed doors--if I'm not supposed to go, I won't go. It's as simple as that. But I have yet to come across a closed door.


Recently, I had a family member whose opinion I regard very highly, tell me that they were uncomfortable (in a nutshell) with my move for reasons they were not sure of. The conversation was of course a longer one, but I'm not going to repeat it all here.

Previously, most of what I was hearing from my family was "We'll miss you, we don't want you to go...etc" That sort of thing. But this was the first thing I'd heard that I didn't know if I should take it as a caution or not. I consulted a pastor who I trust, and asked him what I should do. Asked him how to discern if this was something I should take into consideration or not--because I really felt as though I had nothing but green lights from God on this move. He suggested, wisely, that I fast.

So I did. I set aside a day (2 weeks ago), a Sunday, to fast. It was an incredible experience. Through this time, I recieved 7 pretty clear confirmations that God was in fact directing my move to Austin. So although I wasn't all that surprised by the outcome--I was humbled, and blessed beyond what I expected. Who am I that my God would come and meet me where I am. That He would show up and speak to me? I was really blown away.

Anyway, 5 of the confirmations were scriptural, 1 was from my pastor in his sermon that day, and 1 was from a book that I'm reading called "God's Leading Lady". The last one I really have to laugh about, because I see it more as God saying to me "In case you haven't picked up yet on what I'm trying to tell you...here it is in plain english so you can't miss it" lol. I still laugh about it.

So anyway, in trying to keep this short...on the 3rd day after my fast (so we're up to Wednesday now) I was thinking about jobs in Austin...and what I'm going to do there...and what I really desire to be doing (which is something with music in a worship setting of some kind) and how, even though I have applied to other jobs my heart just isn't them and I'm not really hoping to get those jobs. They're just things I would be good at--not things I have a passion for. I started looking around on the internet, thinking "How am I ever going to find what I'm looking for on the internet?" Not expecting to, mind you. I started typing various keywords into Google, to do job searches...one idea led to another, which led to another and so on. And then, one thing that I typed in brought up a website which lists church jobs. I also noticed that there were just over 200 jobs TOTAL posted on this website...nationwide. So, I didn't really expect to find anything. But, just for kicks, I typed in the zip code for where Ill be living initially in Texas, and what do you know? 2 jobs popped up. One of them particularly caught my eye. It was for a Worship Director at a small church plant, not far from where I'll be living. I read through the job description, and I just got more and more excited as I read. I honestly feel as though this job description could be written for me. I mean, I couldn't have written it better if I had been told to write one for myself. Seriously.

So--this brings me to my question which is the title of this blog. Coincidence? or God's faithfulness? Is it by chance that I found what could be my dream job only 3 days after fasting? I don't think so. I really do not believe that this was by accident. Does it mean I think this job is meant to be for me? No, I don't know yet if it is meant for me or not. Only time will tell that one, and only God knows. But even so--I have now seen, that the ideal job/ministry does exist for me--and now I know what to look for.

Will I be disappointed if I don't get this position? Yes, very much so. I am already planning in my head how best to do it, what I would need to do, how it would look, etc. But I also believe that if I don't get this particular position, it just means that there is something else out there God intends me to do. Something that will fit me better, or something similar anyway.

I won't go through all the reasons here why I think this job is for me--that will make this much longer than it already is--and remember I'm trying to keep this short! But I will say, that part of the appeal of this job (besides the fact that I already do much of the job description now--unpaid...and I would be paid for these things that I naturally do) is that it is part time. Why is that ideal? Because it would allow me to FINALLY make Mary Kay my full time job! Something I have wanted to do for years but have never had the opportunity. This could be my opportunity. Honestly, I had a hard time sleeping the first couple of nights after discovering this job because I was so excited about the potential for it all.

So anyway, I just thought I would share this experience because I really do not believe there is anything that we as the followers of Christ can do, besides remaining faithful to Him and doing exactly what He wants us to do, to please Him more. Period. If we are faithful to Him, He will be faithful to us--but also to remember that it also may not be what we expect. Even when we aren't faithful to Him, He is still faithful to us--figure that one out. In everything there is a blessing, even when it is hard to see. In everything there is a lesson, either good or bad. But He wants our faithfulness, and our devotion. And in giving Him those 2 things, I really believe that He wants to pour out the blessings on us. And I believe that He will too. Get ready for the floodgates to open up...because I can hear the water getting stronger on the other side--waiting to come rushing out.

No comments: